Sunday, July 18, 2010

Gotta Have Faith

While driving this morning, I noticed my patience was already wearing thin because of the smallest things: someone not using their turn signal which resulted in a standstill between the SUV and myself, and a truck turning right in front of me, cutting me off. Why I was so easily agitated remains a mystery, but I quickly was put in check when I witnessed what appeared to be a simple, random act of kindness.

The strong storms last night left some people to clean up what looked like disaster zones in their yards - debris, leaves, tree limbs, etc. As I looked around at all the mess some residents were cleaning, I noticed a woman with a helmet on and her bicycle standing off to the side. She was bent over breaking sticks down and putting them in a trash bag. I couldn't help but smile when I saw this. I can only assume this woman was out for a bike ride, saw this particular area and how bad of shape it was in, and decided to hop off her bike and lend a hand to the neighborhood and its residents. In what sometimes seems to be a world full of destruction and hate, it's nice to be reminded that there are good-hearted, kind, selfless people out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment