Sunday, June 5, 2011

Aventura de Espana: Dia Siete

I started the day by going with Emily to her school. First, she had a conversation tutoring session with the technology teacher. Ironically enough, he doesn't own a cell phone, he has no credit cards, and does not have internet at home :) Then I observed another one of her classes, who had the same assignment as her other class, of bringing in something that represented Asturias. These kids were younger than her other class and were quite wound up, but once again, I was impressed with their English skills, especially when comparing it to my Spanish skills when I was in high school.

After her class, we headed to the market and walked around for a while, since our time was cut short due to the rain on Sunday. I bought a few things for family and friends and a bracelet for myself.

Then Raul picked us up and the three of us headed to Gijon, a city not too far away from Oviedo, and walked around for the afternoon.











Before heading back to Oviedo, we stopped for lunch at an outdoor cafe, overlooking the port. We all did the "menu del dia", which turned out to be a TON of food, but it was so good. My least favorite was the hamburger (seen in the last picture), but I had to remember I wasn't in Iowa anymore.


Patatas con aoli (potatoes with aioli)


Lentejas con chorizo (lentil stew with sausage and potatoes)


Emily and I split the hamburger and fish and fried egg for the 3rd course

When we got back to Oviedo, Emily had two more classes, so we headed back to her school. The first class showed me around the school and explained to me what things were in English. Her last class did the Asturias item assignment. Some of the items were repeats, but one girl brought in a typical Asturian dessert, that resembles a crepe. It was fantastic!

After school, Emily had a quick tutoring session, so I walked to a nearby park and read a book until she was done. After that, we met up with some of her friends at a bar for drinks and tapas. We started out with our free tapa of bread w/ a raspberry spread, cheese, and sliced ham on top. Then we ordered a cheese plate with all types of different cheeses. Later, someone ordered fried baby sardines, which I had never had before, and although hesitant due to being able to see where their eyes once were, I decided to try it. I was not a fan, so I stopped at that one, but at least I tried it! After the fun evening came to a close, Emily and I headed back to her house and watched the newest episode of Glee before going to bed.

2 comments:

  1. sounds so relaxing! i love that you got to watch glee also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice pictures! and i want to try that lentil stew!

    ReplyDelete