A few highlights from the race stick out:
*The crowd: Even though I was extra excited to see a few familiar faces, like Lucas and the Holtgrewes, just seeing people lined up at different points of the course made a huge difference. I always seem to get that extra boost I need when I see people clapping, cheering, and ringing their cowbells.
*Flags: At about mile 7, along the Morningstar hill, (the biggest hill of the course) there were flags lined up along both sides of the road, representing all the Iowa soldiers who have died in action, since the first Dam to Dam race in 1980. There was also a group playing bagpipes and drums at the top of the hill. I got goosebumps as they played"Amazing Grace" as we ran by them, and it was a great way to keep things in perspective as I ran up that hill.
*Inspiring Words: Between mile 10 and 11, we overheard a conversation between 2 girls as we ran by them. The one girl was saying how she couldn't keep up anymore, and the other girl said to her, "yes you can. You are the reason I am running beside you right now" She continued to push her friend along with encouraging words. It was an awesome conversation to overhear.
*Smiles: Although there were several photographers stationed at different mile markers towards the end of the race, we only have 1 photo each on record of this year's run, but it was our best photo, I'm sure. For the last photo op, Jake thought we should flash a smile, and here are the results:

His photo should be on an ad for next year's race, we've all decided.
*The Isiserettes: As you round the last corner, and run the last 400 meters or so, you can hear the drums from the Isiserettes beat. I LOVE running past the Y and seeing the drummers and dancers as I give everything I have left in me, in those final meters to the finish line.
*Cheer Squad: After finishing the 20K, we were able to cheer on other members of Team Hot Sundae as they ran the 5K - J-rod, Les, and Stacy all did a great job and it was fun to see them run to the finish line.
*The Afterparty: Food, free beer, and my runner's high - all while being surrounded by the other runners and all the supporters make for a great atmosphere at the finish line. I saw a lot of familiar faces, including an old friend from college who I hadn't seen in nearly 4 years! A great way to end this year's race.
it is such a fun race and you guys look so good in your pictures!
ReplyDelete