Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"Top" Purchase

Ask me what I'm doing right now...go ahead, ask.

You: "What are you doing right now Nic?"
Me: "Oh, you know, just sitting on my bed blogging."
You: "But Nic, how? Don't you have a desktop computer?"
Me: "Why yes, You, I do. But you know what else I have now? A new laptop computer!!"

Yep, after months of thinking about getting a laptop, I decided tonight was the night to take the plunge and go out and make my purchase. I decided on a Sony Vaio. The experience had its high points and low points:

*Getting overwhelmed by looking at all my choices - Low Point
*Narrowing it down between a Dell and Sony - High Point
*Taking a break to look at headphones (which I desperately needed) and having JW sell me on the Skull Candy ones - High (and comical) Point
*Heading back over to the computers and making a decision on the Sony Vaio - High Point
*Waiting for what seemed like an eternity for an associate to help me - Low Point
*Listening to Miles b.s. his way through the questions we had for him - Low (but entertaining) Point
*Signing on the electronic dotted line, finalizing my purchase - High Point
*Not having to do this alone - High Point (Thanks JW for all your help, patience, and entertainment!!!)

I'm so excited - like a kid on Christmas morning - to have a laptop! It's hard to sit down at my desk and email, blog, and do random internet searching when I've just gotten home from sitting at a desk, staring at a computer screen for 10 hours. The simple pleasures of sitting in the living on the couch or laying in bed (against L's advice) with my computer have been highly anticipated luxuries. For the 15 minutes that I've been sitting on my bed with my laptop in my lap, I can tell you I find the experience to be glorious. I'm sure the feeling will wear off, but I'm enjoying ever second of it right now. I know I'll enjoy it even more once I get to the daunting task of transferring all my stuff from my desktop to this computer and customizing it to my liking.

I'm happy to say I'm feeling good about this purchase - confident and excited.

4 comments:

  1. that's a mighty fine computing machine you got!!! can't wait to see what all you will do with it. and, yes, the customer service was awful at Best Buy, but i think you made a great decision. congrats and welcome to computing/blogging/fb'ing from bed/sofa/coffeeshop! it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we need some specs! memory? hard drive? cpu? color? did you get the pink one?

    we love our vaio and especially windows 7. i think s tricked me into spending my christmas and then some on a new computer--she secretly wanted a new one too! (right s?)

    congrats on the purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! New techno toys are always a fun experience. The new computer smell, the uncluttered desktop, the speed of an empty hard drive....

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like how holt tries to blame me for buying a laptop! but honestly i love it and use it more than i ever thought i would. still wish it was pink though. :) happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete