Sunday, October 24, 2010

Questionable Identification

I've never had someone question the validity of my ID until yesterday afternoon as I was picking up a few things before the Iowa game started. I wanted to get a sixer of beer so I headed over to the liquor part of the store. After perusing through the refrigerated beer section, I decided on Shock Top Belgian White. I headed to the cashier with that, 2 limes, and ground cumin in hand. Not surprisingly, the cashier asked for my ID, so I showed it to him, without taking it out of my wallet. He then asked me to take it out, and of course I obliged. Then he studied it very carefully, looked at me, looked back at my ID and said, "This doesn't look like you." For those of you who haven't seen my ID before, I got it renewed 2 years ago, so my hair was still bright blonde and in this particular picture, it looks almost white. I've had a couple people comment about my darker hair versus the lighter hair in my picture, but I've never had anyone doubt it was me, so I was a little taken aback. I so badly wanted to say, "Listen Pat, congrats on your 8 years of service at Hy-vee, and I'm glad to see that you are taking your job so seriously, but with all do respect, do you honestly think I look like I'm under 21? I mean, I'm flattered, but let's be real. (A.) In the event that I was under 21 and this was a fake ID, do you really think I'd be using it at the Hy-vee Liquor store? No. I'd wait to pull this out at some place like Uncle Bucks or Komodo Club later on tonight. And (B.) If I were, indeed under 21, using a fake ID at your store, do you really think I'd be purchasing a Belgian Wheat six pack of beer? I'd be buying Smirnoff Ice or a bottle of UV Blue Vodka to go along with my Big Gulp cup full of lemonade I have out in the car." But, I kept it short and sweet and simply said, "Well, I don't know what to tell you, that's me. My hair is darker, yes, but if you look at my face, it matches the picture." He gave me an irritated look and said, "yeah, okay." Apparently a helpful smile in every aisle does not apply in the liquor section.

1 comment:

  1. You shoulda told him he didn't look like a 'Pat'.

    At least he was suspicious of you being older than 21...that's a compliment!

    ReplyDelete