Monday, February 7, 2011

A Big 'n Little Outing

Last Thursday, I took 'Lil on an outing to Glazed Expressions. Neither one of us had ever been there before, so we both were excited to try out this new experience together.

The hardest part was picking out which piece of pottery to paint. They have hundreds of items to choose from - plates, bowls, mugs, vases, animals - you name it, they probably have it in some form. I finally decided on a cupcake piggy bank to give to Regan for Valentine's Day and 'Lil decided on the penguin. Then it was off to pick out our paint colors, and finally we sat down to get started.

It was such a fun evening to spend with my little. It was the perfect combination of being focused on an activity, but having great conversation as well.

'Lil is a talker and I wouldn't want it any other way. I love her stories she shares with me. She is always telling me about the three boys she crushes on, how her attitude (she'll be the first to tell you she can have a mouth on her) will get her into a little trouble at school, her friends and family, and how she works so hard on her school work. It seems every time we hang out, I learn a little more about her.

I'd like to think I'm not only a good role model for her to look up to and a friend she can rely on, but someone who is opening her up to new things, even if it's as small as going to paint pottery. Who knows where something that simple could lead - maybe she'll realize how much she loves art and she'll want to explore further into that area. These are the things I try to keep in mind when deciding on our next activity.

But as much as I'd like to think I'm making an impact and as much as I want to think I'm opening her eyes, the fact is, she's already had a huge impact on me and she has opened my eyes ten times more. The world she knows is much different from the world I knew at her age. Some of the cards she's been dealt in life, I have never given much thought to before. She teaches me something new every time I see her. And for that, I'll always be indebted to her. We're about 6 months into our big/little relationship and I can't wait to see where the next 6 months take us.

Here are a few pics from our outing:



Our works in progress



Ready to be fired!



Our final products:



2 comments:

  1. The pottery is awesome, Good job!!!!! Nice pictures, you will have to start a photo albumn. Jo

    ReplyDelete