Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Warning: This One's For the Ladies

One thing I'm not a big fan of is women's health commercials - tampons/pads, birth control, etc. They are so unrealistic and give the most inaccurate view of how women communicate with one another regarding these 'health' issues.

Example # 1: The Midol commercial where they are all at the beach and the one girl cannot believe the other has her period - because why on earth would you want to be on a beach during that time. Then the girl expresses her desire for a brownie, to which the other responds with, "Oh yeah, she's menstrual." Um, I've never heard any of my friends say, "I'm menstrual." It's more like, "Ugh, I'm on the rag dude" or "I hate being a girl"

Example #2: Birth control commercials - it's always "girls night out" or the "ladies luncheon" and what else do they talk about but birth control, and not only birth control but how effective it is and what the side effects are. Again, so unrealistic. Girls do not talk like this...it's more like, "crap, forgot to take my pill this morning"

I like Kotex's response with their new marketing campaign, U by Kotex:



and




Well done Kotex, well done.

2 comments:

  1. I saw one last night for kotex. Where the girl is standing out side a drug store not wanting to leave her bike unattended. She is asking guys to go in and buy tampons for her. Pretty funny. One guy asked if he could just buy her some toilet paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious. I hadn't seen the second one, "I'm racially ambiguous" .... "I'm wearing white pants". Perfect!

    ReplyDelete