A follow up post to "A Step In the Right Direction" :
Over the past few months, I've been really bothered by the fact that I feel like I don't contribute to any cause in my life. I get home after sitting at a desk for 10 hours and look back on my day and do not feel like I've made a difference. I knew action needed to be taken. I thought long and hard about what I could do and decided on the Big Brothers Big Sisters program. After 2 interviews, a background check, and a training/orientation session, I am happy to announce that I am officially a "big sister".
This afternoon I had my first outing with my "little". (whom I'll refer to as Lil from here on out) The agency was very emphatic about choosing a low key activity for the first few outings, so the little doesn't get high expectations, so in following their advice, I decided to take Lil to Smokey Row for an after school snack. Lil had never been there before so I was happy to already be introducing her to something new. After ordering, we sat down and just started chatting. I was a little nervous going into it, wondering how talkative she would be, but all worries were set aside very quickly because the girl can talk! We covered lots of topics - school, sports, the upcoming Homecoming dance, boys, and family. I could barely get a word in edgewise! When there was a small break in conversation, I decided to bring out the activity I had planned for us. I created a "getting to know you" puzzle of sorts. I printed out a sheet of blank puzzle pieces and labeled each one with a certain topic. A few examples include, "Favorite Movie", "3 Activities I Want To Do With You", "What I Want To Be When I Grow Up", "Something New I've Been Wanting To Try", and "My Expectations During This Experience". We each filled one out and then talked over each piece. It was a fun way to ask some of those questions without making it seem like an interview.
On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give my first outing with Lil a 9.5. We have some similar interests and she seems like a really nice girl. She was very polite and respectful and seems to be on board with this program. I'm hoping she can learn a few things from me and I'm willing to bet she'll teach me a few things along the way too. What was the highlight of the outing for me? While sharing the 3 activities I said I wanted to do with her, one of the things I mentioned was doing some volunteering or a service project together. Lil instantly got a smile on her face and said, "ooo, like a homeless shelter or something? That sounds like fun - lets do that next time!"
I'm feeling great after my first outing and hope for a successful second outing later in the month. I'm hoping to be not only a positive role model for her but a friend and confidant and ideally build a strong bond that will last for years to come.
March Madness 2018
8 years ago
Sounds like a successful outing! What a good idea the puzzle was! I hope all future outings will be as fun. Jo
ReplyDeletesounds great. she is blessed to be gaining a new great friend and role model and it sounds like she is going to be a source of happiness for you too.
ReplyDeletecongrats on your new adventure!