Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Appreciation and Validation

As the end of year draws near, so starts the busiest part of the year at work. Yesterday about an hour before I was scheduled to leave, I was notified that we landed a big account that I'd been working on and it needed to hit the books for November. So I settled into my cubicle, knowing it'd be a while. 3 hours and 15 minutes past quittin' time, it was completed.

I walked into work this morning, feeling like it hadn't been that long ago when I had left, and sat down at my computer, feeling less than excited to be there. However, my day turned around quickly when I saw I had an email from one of the underwriting managers, thanking me for the work I'd done on this account. "We often get to celebrate over here the success of getting a big account, but the truth is it wouldn't be possible without you and all your efforts." I felt immediate validation.

A couple hours went by and I saw I had an email from another underwriting manager. She, too, thanked me for staying late to get the account issued.

And as if that weren't enough, in the late afternoon I got yet another email. "I understand you played a big part in helping us win this account. Thank you for staying late to get this on the books. I appreciate all the work you did." I didn't recognize the name so I looked her up - turns out, she is the AVP of Sales. Whoa, big time. How cool is it that someone from upper management took time out of her busy schedule to send me, a lowly "rater", a thank-you email?! I was more than impressed.

This probably seems hardly blog-worthy, but in the "rater" world, to say this rarely happens is an understatement. To get 3 emails from different levels of management in the same day on one account speaks volumes to me. I know it seems so simple and it only took them a mere 2 minutes to compose such a note, but it means a lot. Feeling appreciated for what you do can do wonders for your engagement.

I marked today down as a good day at work, worthy of a gold star.

4 comments:

  1. I say 3 gold stars, one for each email! Well done love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fantastic. Recognition and validation feel so heartening and encouraging. Three. In one day!
    Going above and beyond to do quality work is not a common thing so it is very appreciated when it happens.
    MVP award for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. three thumbs up to you and your work! good stuff. simple thank you notes go a long way...not sure why people don't do it more often.
    keep your eyes out for future promotions...such as an underwriting position...you've got a ton of people that feel you're right for the position...
    just sayin'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos! What a good feeling, but I know your performance isn't unusual for you. I agree that you should look into an underwriting position, never know where that may lead! Well done!

    ReplyDelete