Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Oscars 2011

I attended the 2nd annual Oscars party on Sunday evening. We were all dressed in our best and watched the show, complete with great food and even better company. And the party wouldn't have been complete without the swag bags, the photo shoot, and the competition of guessing the most winners correctly. Last year I took home the Oscar for guessing the most correctly, however, this year there was a 3 way tie between myself, JW, and LW. I graciously handed over the trophy to the boys and happily accepted the door prize - 3 dvds! Here are a few pics from the evening: (thanks JW)







A few thoughts on the show:

*I've read a lot of harsh reviews on hosts James Franco and Anne Hathaway. Although a little brutal, I cannot say I disagree entirely. James Franco, whether that's his personality or not, did, in fact, appear to be less than thrilled to be there. Anne Hathaway, though I do like her as an actress, is just very awkward to watch at times, and her performance Sunday night was no exception.

*I think the producers need to give up the idea of appealing to a younger crowd. The Oscars is supposed to be a sophisticated awards ceremony, honoring the most talented in film for that year, not a less than classy show, like, say, the MTV awards. Plus, even a mature viewer like me (haha) gets bored with the show after a while with the speeches and the less-known categories like sound editing and sound mixing.

*Best Dressed: Halle Berry: She looked stunning in this nude-colored dress by Marchesa. Only someone with a flawless complexion, like hers, can pull off a dress like this.




*Worst Dressed: Melissa Leo: I was not digging her nod to grandma's doily collection.



*I was happy with the big winners of the evening: Christian Bale/Melissa Leo (The Fighter), Natalie Portman (Black Swan), Colin Firth (The King's Speech).

*I saw half of the best picture nominees (Black Swan, The Fighter, Toy Story 3, Inception, and the Social Network). And I'm hoping to see the remaining 5 once they are released on dvd, especially the King's Speech and the Kids Are All Right.

2 comments:

  1. you all look like you could of accepted the awards-very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you look beautiful nicole.

    ReplyDelete