I've never ventured out on Black Friday to snag some good deals - until this year. Friday my mom and I went down to Davenport for the day to try and get some Christmas shopping done and we had a lot of success. It wasn't the traditional study the ads the night before, get there at 5 A.M., and go to all the "hot spots" - our only stop was the mall, and we didn't get there until about 10. But, it worked for us and our goal, which was to pick out a few things for me for Christmas.
We made up a loose game plan in the car on the way down - hit up Younkers first to see if a couple of door buster items were still available, then Express to take advantage of the 40% off before noon deal, and then any other stores that caught our eye, ending with Von Maur.
No luck at Younkers, but we hit the jackpot at Express. I tried a lot of things on and left the dressing room with several "keep" items. We had about a 45 minute wait to check out, but we passed the time by figuring how to get the best bang for our buck with the coupons I had and figuring out how much we were saving (over $250). After a few more stores and a lunch break, we ended the day at Von Maur, where I had more success (every item was off the sale rack, with the exception of a pair of boots) and managed to spend the rest of the balance on my gift card.
Although my first Black Friday experience almost felt a little selfish, since the majority of the day was spent looking at stuff for me, it was successful and a lot of fun. (For the record, I did ask my mom if she wanted to go into a few stores, and I did get one thing for Rachel) My mom was/is an awesome shopping partner - we may not always have the same taste, but she is always helpful, patient, and seems to have fun, even if she's not looking for herself.
PRAYERS FROM STANGERS
10 years ago
Sounds like a successful trip!
ReplyDelete