Is it possible to get a good read on someone based on what they order at a restaurant? For example, being the shape and size that I am, if I order a salad, am I stereotyping myself as the "salad girl" - aka the girl who eats very little and is weight-conscious? Or what about if a guy orders a rare steak, does this mean he's a "manly man?"
I'm not sold on the idea, however I think given the right circumstance, you should think about your food choice. Examples:
1. First Date:
Ladies - if your date ordered the half chicken salad sandwich and a cup of the soup du jour, with a side order of fruit, would this raise any concern? Would you question his "manliness" or infer he was high maintenance? And gentlemen, if your date orders a salad, would you be turned off by this? Would it lead you to believe she has body image issues?
2. Grocery store:
Imagine you are a check out clerk at a grocery store and someone comes through your line with a pint of Ben and Jerry's, a bag of potato chips, and a container of dip. What goes through your head? "Oh, must've been a bad breakup" or "geez, bad day?"
I think we have all been guilty of passing such judgments, but are we correct? Is it possible that the Santa Fe Chicken Salad choice was simply a matter of deliciousness? Could the Ben and Jerry's purchase be one of sufficing a craving? Maybe we are too quick to judge...just a "food for thought" of the day.
March Madness 2018
8 years ago
One has to wonder if Carlos does judge hmmmmm.... Also what if I order the medium rare steak? Am I a manly girl? I think we have located the problem ;)
ReplyDeleteduring the ridiculously long time i worked for hy-vee, i spent a summer as a checker, as you had better believe i was paying attention to what people were buying, and, i suppose, forming an opinion of them based on that. how else can you spend eight hours of swiping groceries across the laser thing?
ReplyDeleteyou do bring up good points though. especially those first couple dates with someone. you are trying to gather info about this person, so, what they order might be insightful, or at least something to converse about.
I think I read more into HOW people eat more than that WHAT they're eating. Also - if I am going to pass judgement on what they're eating, I usually wait until I notice a trend. You're more than welcome to get a salad on that first date, but if you get a salad the next 3 dates as well, I'm going to start to wonder.
ReplyDeleteYou really start to wonder when you are out with someone and they request ketchup to put on their salad.
ReplyDeleteAnd it is really humorous when you are so hungry you eat 3 giant sandwiches and the girl next to you eats trail mix. I suppose I should be embarressed but you do what you gotta do. If it was a first date though I would try to stay in moderation and eat only one sandwich. And make fill up later.