Friday, October 23, 2009

Ding Dong The Mouse Is Dead

I've been so frustrated this week as the genius creature who invaded our house was not outsmarted by our traps. After the first traps we set didn't do the trick, we went out and bought those sticky ones. Those sticky traps are crap! The mouse had gotten onto one of the sticky ones, but also ate its way off. When L and I discovered that yesterday morning, I started crying. I think out of tiredness and frustration, the tears just started flowing as I called my dad to ask for more advice. I also think I was even more grossed out that the mouse could do such a thing.

LW, once again, stepped up and came over again last night with new traps. He set them, placed them around the pantry and basement, and tried to convince me that last night was THE night. Skippy chunky peanut butter would be that mouse's last supper.

So this morning, L knocked on my door around 7:30 to deliver the good news. "It's gone!" Can I just say that I couldn't ask for a better roommate?!? L has been more than a good friend throughout this week - she let me wake her up at the butt crack of dawn every day this week, she let me hide behind her as "we" (she) checked the traps, she didn't mock me as I cried yesterday, AND she discovered and disposed of the mouse all on her own this morning and only woke me up to tell me it was over! What a trooper!

I've always said I've been scared of mice and that I wouldn't know what to do if one ever entered my house. But this past week gave me a whole new insight on just how intense my phobia is. I avoided being home alone, lost sleep over it, and cried over it. I hid behind L like a coward every morning as we checked the traps. It has been a silly and sick reminder, but a reminder indeed, of how lucky I am to have such strong and supportive friends and family in my life. My parents let me cry to them, my co-workers gave me advice and offered to help, LW took time out of TWO of his evenings to help, and L stayed strong even though she was just as creeped out as me.

You may have won a couple battles mouse, but the ladies of 187 won the war!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on outlasting the little guy.
    Now you are seasoned veterans, in case you ever have another episode with these 4-footed fiends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha - the mouse lasted longer than I thought it would, but now you know you can handle (read: catch, kill, and dispose of) a mouse if you ever have to face one again.

    Way to finish 'im off, Les!

    ReplyDelete