Monday, October 26, 2009

Hold the Line

Do you ever feel guilty for screening phone calls even though you aren't the slightest bit busy?

I've caught myself on numerous occasions feeling pangs of guilt as I silenced the ringer on my phone, opting not to talk to the caller on the other end. But when I take a step back and think about it, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Sometimes I'm just flat out not in the mood to chit chat, and I think that's perfectly okay.

I think the guilt is stemming from the fact that I know the person on the other end knows my phone is with me about 99% of the time, and usually (because my life is not that exciting) I'm available.

Frankly, I find it somewhat liberating to leave my phone behind from time to time. It's like I can disappear for a while and no one can find me. I'm left with my full attention on my family, or friends, or even my own thoughts. I think it's a healthy escape from the almost too-connected world we live in today.

2 comments:

  1. the way communication is changing in our society, we are always in contact with people, facebook, twitter, and especially cell phones. in pre-cell phone days, there were plenty of times when you were unavailable. now, you are always with our phones, so i think it is ok to choose when you want to talk and when you don't.

    and i agree, i LOVE leaving my phone behind sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no wonder you never answer when I call...

    ReplyDelete