Thursday, January 14, 2010

Dating Expectations

I've found that I've engaged in several conversations recently about dating and it got me thinking about the different expectations people have when it comes to the first few dates. What is really important to some is not a factor at all for others. So I thought a little homework assignment might be in order...it'll be fun, I promise.

Homework assignment: Make a list of your expectations when it comes to the first date in the comments section. I think it will be interesting to compare/contrast, especially the girls' answers vs. the boys' answers.

My Expectations For a First Date:

*Taking charge in planning the date (the more creative, the better)
*Being picked up (unless it's a blind date, then it's more appropriate to meet there)
*Coming to the door at the beginning of the date and walking me back to the door at the end of the date
*Holding doors open and just being gentlemen-like in general. (Don't let chivalry die!)
*Giving a compliment
*No cell phone activity (no texting, answering phone calls, or keeping your phone on the table)
*Picking up the tab
*Eye contact
*Avoid "heavy" topics such as exes, politics, religion, etc.

2 comments:

  1. it's tough to seperate the 'expectations' for a date, from characteristics that i like to see in a person i'd date. but here goes:

    *allowing the guy open doors
    *saying thanks when a door is opened for them
    *is open-minded in considering what to do and where to eat
    *does not offer to pay the tab. lets the guy pay the tab without protest, but does say thank you.
    *holds up half of the conversation. doesn't make it feel like an interview.
    *asks questions & listens to answers.
    *is ready on time.
    *no cell phone activity

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been stewing about this all weekend. I mean seriously it's been so long do I even have expectations? haha. I would agree with pretty much everything thus far but would add the following:

    * No Facebook chat. I don't want to know you creeped on me before you picked me up. Use the info to your advantage when necessary, but don't say, "Well I saw on Facebook...."

    * No swearing. Ugh really unattractive. I mean don't get me wrong I swear too much, but I shut it off for those first few dates. The "F Bomb" is a major turn-off right away.

    * Be yourself. Don't lie or pretend you are someone you aren't, or things will get messy down the road. And please be honest, if you aren't feeling it let me know so I don't go crazy for the next week.

    * Don't rapid text me after you drop me off. Wait until the next morning, please.

    ReplyDelete