Monday, February 8, 2010

An Effort Worth Making

It's all too easy on a cold, snowy February day (a Monday no less) to find things to complain about.

*Lack of sleep
*Yet another snow storm
*Stupid drivers
*The fact that I felt like I was back in the 3rd grade when I received my balloon and star sticker at work today for having 100% quality.

...the list could go on and on.

Do you ever notice how much easier it is to complain, to think negatively, and to feel down and out? It takes an extreme amount of effort, at times, to think positively and count your blessings. But that kind of effort, I feel, is necessary. Don't get me wrong, I've definitely been guilty of being the "Debbie Downer" and I think that is perfectly healthy, to some degree. After all, it is nearly impossible to be 100% positive all the time. But today, I am consciously making the decision to be positive. When I reflect on my short list above, I am noticing that these are all things I cannot control. But, just because I can't control them, doesn't mean they can control me and my attitude. Instead of looking at it from "the glass is half empty" perspective, I can tweak it a little:

*Trouble sleeping last night, perhaps, but I made it through the day and I can hopefully sleep more soundly tonight
*More snow to deal with today, yes, but it's February 8th, which means one more day of winter under our belts.
*Yes, there were, are, and always will be stupid drivers out there, but I can say a little prayer of thanks each time I arrive safely to my destination.
*An elementary incentive for sure, but I'm sure the unemployed would be happy to accept a balloon and sticker, if it meant earning a paycheck at the end of each day.

2 comments:

  1. well titled...it is definitely an effort worth making. your positivity rubs off on everyone (or mostly everyone) around you. thanks for keeping it cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Ma and JW say, "What's good?"

    I thought this exact thought today: I wonder if its easier to be depressed when you're constantly buried in snow? I feel like this winter hasn't done much for my spirits, which haven't been the best anyways.

    Buck up! We've both got warm apts, enough to eat, and cars that work. Jobs that pay and a few good friends. Things could be a lot worse. Keep up the positivity!

    ReplyDelete