Sunday, January 2, 2011

2010 in 10

(In no particular order)

*Gym - I joined the YMCA in January, and have enjoyed my membership. (although I could stand to get there more than I do) I've enjoyed Yoga the most. It's not only a great workout but relaxing as well.
*Running - 2010 was the year for running. 10 races and hundreds of miles I have ran this past year, all with a great running partner who has made running all the more fun with him beside me to talk to, laugh with, and push me to every finish line.
*Travel - I was lucky enough to be able to take 2 trips this year. I crossed the border into Mexico with 3 of my closest friends. They made the trip one of the funnest and most memorable vacations of my life - from the good food to the sunshine to our infamous dance party. The 2nd trip was to Vegas, 2.0, just me and my best friend exploring Sin City. The shopping, laying poolside, and the heart-to-hearts were the highlights.
*Giving Back - There are so many people out there who are less fortunate than I, so I see it as my duty to do what I can to give back. Many trips were made to Goodwill (instead of just throwing things away), always saying "yes" when asked to donate a $1 to a good cause while checking out at a store, and most recently, buying gifts for those in need over the holiday instead of exchanging with my friends.
*Big Sister: After 27 years of only knowing the role of a little sister, I took the steps to become a "Big Sister". So far my experience has been very rewarding and I've enjoyed getting to know my Little. I try to open her up to new things and she has done the same for me. I'm excited to continue to develop my friendship with her and hope I can be a positive influence in her life.
*Move: L and I moved into a new townhouse this year. I absolutely love our house and all it has to offer - 2 car attached garage, 2.5 bathrooms, the open floor plan, the brightness, my closet, and a great roommate to boot. It is a huge upgrade from our last place and after 6 months of living here, I still look around and think how great our place is.
*Challenges - I've faced several challenges in 2010 that I hope will only make me a stronger person. Without my family, friends, or faith, facing these challenges would have been impossible.
*Grandpa - I had to say goodbye to my grandpa this year, which was one of the hardest things I've had to do in my life. He was the epitome of a wonderful grandpa - playing with us grandkids when we were little, taking us on fun adventures when we stayed there, spoiling us, and supporting us in so many ways as we grew up. I am lucky to have had 26 incredible years with him. I miss him dearly.
*Friends - No one "event" to write about but 2010 wouldn't have been what it was without my friends. Everyday I'm reminded in some way how blessed I am to have the friends I do. I want to write about each and every one of you but this post would turn into a novel, so I'll leave it at this: I have some of the most supportive, thoughtful, and kind friends a girl could ask for. So many laughs, some tears, and more meaningful conversations than I can count - I love you all and thank you for being you and being a part of my life.
*Family - Again, no particular "event" to write about, but I cannot possibly talk about the year in review without mentioning my family. Family is so important and I am incredibly lucky to have the family I do. They accept and love me for who I am, including my faults and I wouldn't be where I am today without their constant support and unconditional love.

Now, the new year is upon us. If I had to guess what 2011 will be in 1 word, I'd say change. Change is not always easy but it's inevitable. I have challenges ahead of me but I am up for them. And I have a lot to look forward to, most notably, my new baby niece, who will be here in a couple of short months. 2011 will be what I make of it, so here's to a fantastic year.

No comments:

Post a Comment