Monday, June 22, 2009

Jargon Jabber




I've been working in an office environment for about 3 years now and one of the many observations I have made from my little cubicle over the past few years is the utilization of corporate lingo around the office. Just as Peter hates to hear about TPS Reports, the following words/phrases, which are in no particular order, are like nails on a chalkboard to me:

1. Future forward/going forward
2. Choose your attitude
3. The "Wow" Factor
4. Mood Elevator
5. Opportunity
6. Follow up
7. Focus group
8. Flow charts
9. Be here now
10. Staying engaged
11. At the end of the day
12. Per (as in 'per our conversation' or 'per your email')

Why do businesses coin such annoying phrases? Are they only irritating because they are so overused and abused? Or is it because these words/phrases or so wishy-washy and go around the topic at hand without just being candid and directly saying what needs to be said?

I came across this viewpoint on mbaassociation.org which discusses a BBC article written about a year ago on this very subject. It is quite humorous. I was happy to see one of the phrases I listed, "going forward," was on their list as well. I think my favorite, however, is #2.

Clearly I am not the only one who has sensitive ears when it comes to corporate jargon!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Great post - good use of an embedded picture, good hyperlink at the bottom. Well done.

    I posted about this about 2 years ago as well. I have a few specific phrases that I'd like to add to your list.

    -"owning" an idea or project. As in your supervisor saying, "We've really got to own this." Which means - 'You're really going to have to own this.'

    -Start/Stop/Continue. Its like cliff notes for people who can't run a meeting on their own. They come with these premade worksheets that say, "ask people what they think we should stop, what we should start, and what we should continue." Then do whatever the heck you wanted to do to begin with.

    -"business need" As in, "is this really a business need?" Which translates, "You aren't going to get what you're asking for."

    I'll stop. I could go on, believe me.

    ReplyDelete