Monday, June 15, 2009

Work Comp Claim in the Works?

At my place of employment, we have what seems like hundreds of flat screen TVs throughout the building. Eventually, they tell us, it will be a means for corporate communications - things that once appeared on email will now appear on these TVs. This has yet to happen. Instead CNN is blasted through the airwaves.

Don't get me wrong, I like to know what's going on in the world and I like to keep up on my current events. But I feel like I am being overexposed. Now it's not like I just sit and watch the muted TVs all day long, but it's hard to escape the hundreds of flat screens that have invaded our building. First thing I see when I get to my floor - a TV - where 99% of the time some depressing headline is being thrown in my face like, "Cuba in Crisis" or "H1N1 Claims 4 More Lives." Then as I approach my cubicle, which is only feet away from that first TV I see, I am once again exposed. "White Supremacist Suspect in Museum Shooting" and "Father Charged in Baby's Death." Not exactly the positive note I want to start my day with.

And it doesn't stop! Lunchtime rolls around and I see this - "4 Dead in Murder Suicide." Ugh, never thought I'd actually wish I could watch Fox News bash Obama's health care reform! Now again, it's not like I sit at lunch and watch the TV, but with 10 different screens staring you in the face, it's hard to not glance up and see a headline. Or, for that matter, have a co-worker bring a headline to your attention and then having it become the topic of conversation.

Do you think I could file a work comp claim for my bruised mental state?!? Don't worry, place of employment, I'm just being facetious. So lawyers don't pick up your phones to call me. But maybe we can discuss the possibility of a channel change.

Or maybe the better solution is for me to make a conscious effort to ignore the TVs. You know, treat it like it's a guy I once dated that I can't stand to look in the face anymore and avoid him at all cost! I think I could be pretty good at that! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment